dinsdag 8 maart 2011

They sure love their crafts...


Breda does me proud :-)

Apparently, they have a couple of days off here in Buenos Aires, to celebrate the carnaval. The very thing I ran from back home! Luckily, nobody seems to really care about that, they are just glad to have a couple of extra days off work.
Every Sunday and holiday, there are craft fairs going on in different neighborhoods, so now, I am stumbling from one feria to the other. Here in Palermo, I have seen a couple dozens stalls with home made stuff, barbie doll clothing, knitted sweaters and scarfs (winter is coming soon here), lots of jewellery of every different material, leather bags (don't look!!!). Yesterday, when Emi (a girl I met through couchsurfing) took me to Plaza de Francia in Recoleta, sure enough, there was another feria going on, where they sold barbie doll clothing, knitted sweaters and scarfs, lots of jewellery of every different material, leather bags and cups to drink mate from. They sure love crafting around here!
As for the rest of yesterday, I actually did not do much, but hang around on different terraces with a German girl, Mara. We had lunch in Palermo on one terrace, and when we were told they were going to be drilling on the side walk, we just moved to a different terrace, where we had a huge icecream, from a parlor where they had about 10 different flavors of chocolate. I chose chocolate Marroc.
After we made hanging out on a terrace an art, we went to the Jardín Japonés. Unfortunately, because everybody had the day off, we were not the only ones trying to get in, so when we saw the line, we gave up.
At five, I met up with Emi, and she took me on my first busride through Bs As. She turned out to be an excellent guide, and she also brought me up to speed with the street plan here. We went to Recoleta, and later to Plaza de Mayo, to the Casa Rosada, where the president lives. We wandered to the Avenida 9 de Julio, apparently the widest avenue in America. All the more reason to see it, I say......
After that, we took the Subte, where I got off at a station near my hotel, and Emi rode to the end of the line, where she had to take another bus to get home. Bs As is so big, people spend half their day travelling here to get anywhere.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten