woensdag 9 maart 2011

San Telmo and meetings with strangers


San Telmo

I decided to venture out of Palermo and go check out San Telmo. An old barrio, where on Sundays there's a big antique market and lots of tango dancing in the street. I took my changes because it was a public holiday. You never know.
First I have to walk about 15 blocks to reach the Subte, than ride the D line until the end, and then walk another 15 blocks to reach Defensa, the street that leads to Plaza Dorrego in San Telmo. There is a little crafts market going on there (I am expecting nothing less by now), but other than that, I have a feeling that the Plaza Dorrego is about it. It's a very nice square, and the vibe is good. Two people are dancing a tango, so of course I stop to watch. An American guy starts talking to me, and 5 minutes later, his friend comes and joins us, and before you know it, I am having lunch with two older American gentlemen in a nice little restaurant. These guys are really a lot of fun, so I spend about my whole afternoon with them. For good measures, I throw in a visit to the MAMBA (Museum of Modern Art), because there are a few pieces that are inspired by Vermeer, and apparently, the Americans think that everyone from Holland knows and appreciates Vermeer. Oh well, the entrance fee is only 1 AR$, and it's air conditioned. And fair is fair, the photographs are beautiful.
When I get back to the hotel (once again, the whole Subte - walking trip) I decide to hang out in the garden for a bit, read, have a snack and go to bed early. Well, it went a bit differently. I get to talking to two guests at the hotel, Asta and Per, from Norway (Asta is originally from Lithouania). and before you know it, Per brings out the wine. Conversation is good, company is nice, and when they ask me if I want to come have dinner with them, I cannot refuse. They take me to a restaurant they have read about online, where they serve afrodisiac foods. They ask me if I mind. No not really, I am curious. Turns out we are the only threesome in a restaurant with only couples. The food is ok, but overpriced, if you ask me, just because it's supposed to be an afrodisiac. But the evening is great, conversation never stops and I am having a great time with them.
After two bottles of wines and a short taxi ride back to the hotel, I am in bed at around 2 am.
Another relaxing day in Buenos Aires.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten